Friday, February 2, 2007

One for one

One query to an agent, one rejection. Within 24 hours too because communication technology is as fast as they keep telling us it is.

This isn't my brave face, by the way, I'm just not tore up over this one. Ask me again at number 25.

I sent to this agent because the agency was based in California. Faced with dozens of agencies I had to narrow it down somehow or the surfeit of choices would make me lock up. So, going regional was the answer and I found two agencies that were in the golden state and accepting fantasy submissions.

And of the two the one I sent to was the worse fit but had an easy submissions-by-e-mail-only policy that offered the fewest chances for me to find some excuse to not send something.

So after poring over the profiles of the Bay Area agency's people I e-mailed the agent whose bio said she was looking for urban fantasy because she was the only one who didn't strictly forbid people from sending her genre fiction.

She works out of New York.

No comments: